Ask an Expert-Sober Tips for the Holidays
Posted 11/24/10 (Wed)
View actual article.
What are some SOBER TIPS for the holidays?
The Holiday Season can be a difficult time for those in recovery. And yet, recovery is about renewing relationships and returning to a full and active life. Here are some SOBER TIPS to help insure a safe and sober Holiday Season:
- Keep a realistic attitude by staying in the present and not dwelling on the past.
- Plan extra AA or NA activities.
- Skip any drinking occasion that you are uneasy about, or take someone from AA/NA with you.
- Keep your AA/NA or sponsor’s telephone numbers with you at all times, and call someone if you have thoughts of using.
- Have spicy and fun non-alcoholic drinks available for yourself or non-drinking guests.
- Spend quality time with your family and friends.
- Count your blessings and don’t get caught up in the “fast paced, high stress, holiday crunch”.
But most of all, be good to yourself and protect your recovery! Happy Holidays from your friends at the Heartview Foundation!