Bismarck has two residential treatment centers, one with 16-beds and one with 13-beds. In Cando, a 16-bed residential center in a sprawling rural location provides a serene treatment experience. A 16-bed residential treatment center in Dickinson serves Western ND. During residential treatment, patients attend programming during the day and are monitored 24-7 by staff to help with sobriety, withdrawal symptoms and medical needs.
If you are placed in residential treatment, you will be called when a bed is available and may only have a few hours to a few days of notice. Here is a list of items that are allowed in the residence and also items that you should leave at home. Allowed Items (pdf). Medications should be brought in original bottles.
When you come to any of Heartview’s locations, your belongings will be checked for contraband and you will be shown your new room. If needed, you will be stabilized by our caring nursing and residential staff. At this time, you will receive adequate fluid, nutrition, monitoring, appropriate medication, and support until you are ready to begin your treatment.
When ready, you will attend group, where you will find 8-13 others just like yourself, who are seeking to conquer this illness. Together with your group, your counselor will take you through the steps of recovery. Total residential treatment time is individualized depending on your progress and can range from 3-6 weeks.
8 a.m.-12 p.m.- Morning treatment groups (group therapy, community speakers, yoga, art, mental health group treatment)
12-1 p.m.- Lunch
1-4 p.m.- Afternoon treatment groups
Free time activities (optional)- AA groups, church, board games, television, community outings (movies, bowling, Heritage Center, Runners Against Destructive Decisions)
In addition to group therapy, you will also
- Continue being assessed and monitored by our nursing and medical staff.
- Receive medication-assisted treatment, if appropriate.
- Receive psychological testing,eferral, and mental health therapy, if needed.
- Learn healthy lifestyle practices in yoga.
- Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association (EAGALA) Horse Therapy (Cando-only)
- Have your spiritual needs taken care of by our chaplain.
- Take part in some creative art sessions.
- Listen to talks or view videos on many topics related to overcoming your addiction
- Be given help in anger management and parenting, to name a few subjects.
- Take part in many supervised activities away from Heartview, including the opportunity to exercise at a gym, attend movies and community events, attend the church of your choice, attend AA or NA meetings, etc.
If your family and/or close friends have any questions about life in the residence the following handout may be helpful to them. Info for family and friends (pdf).
After your stay in residential treatment, you will generally be referred to one of our outpatient services.